My name is Marco Squarcina, I'm a postdoctoral researcher at TU Wien. My research interests focus on web security, but I’m passionate about computer security and hacking in its broadest sense. I play and organise CTFs under the nickname "lavish" as a member of WE_0WN_Y0U, mhackeroni and formerly c00kies. Before relocating to Austria I served as a coach for the national cybersecurity team in Italy to compete in the ENISA European Cyber Security Challenge.
The best way to get in touch with me is by e-mail. Please use my PGP key if you need to send sensitive data. You can also reach me by phone at +43 (1) 58801-192607, or in my office at Favoritenstrasse 9-11, Stiege 2, 1. Stock, 1040 Wien.
- S. Calzavara, R. Focardi, M. Nemec, A. Rabitti, M. Squarcina. Postcards from the Post-HTTP World: Amplification of HTTPS Vulnerabilities in the Web Ecosystem. In the proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (S&P). 2019. pdf website
- S. Calzavara, R. Focardi, M. Maffei, C. Schneidewind, M. Squarcina, M. Tempesta. WPSE: Fortifying Web Protocols via Browser-Side Security Monitoring. In the proceedings of USENIX Security. 2018. arXiv pdf slides
- S. Calzavara, R. Focardi, M. Squarcina, M. Tempesta. Surviving the Web: A Journey into Web Session Security (extended abstract). The Web Conference (Journal Track). 2018 . Full version pdf
- R. Focardi, F. Palmarini, G. Steel, M. Squarcina, M. Tempesta. Mind Your Keys? A Security Evaluation of Java Keystores. In the proceedings of The Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS 2018). 2018. pdf slides video
- R. Focardi, M. Squarcina. Run-time Attack Detection in Cryptographic APIs. In the proceedings of the 30th Computer Security Foundations Symposium (CSF 2017). 2017. pdf slides
- S. Das, R. Focardi, F. Luccio, E. Markou, D. Moro, M. Squarcina. Gathering of Robots in a Ring with Mobile Faults. In the proceedings of the 17th Italian Conference on Theoretical Computer Science (ICTCS 2016). 2016. pdf
- R. Focardi, F. Luccio, M. Squarcina. Fast SQL Blind Injections in High Latency Networks. In the proceedings of the 1st AESS European Conference on Satellite Telecommunications, Security and Privacy Special Track (ESTEL 2012). 2012. pdf
- M. Bugliesi, S. Calzavara, R. Focardi, M. Squarcina. Gran: model checking grsecurity RBAC policies. In the proceedings of the 25th Computer Security Foundations Symposium (CSF 2012). 2012. pdf
- S. Calzavara, R. Focardi, M. Squarcina, M. Tempesta. Surviving the Web: A Journey into Web Session Security. ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR). 2017. Pre-print version: pdf
- G. Caiazza, R. Focardi, M. Squarcina. Run-time analysis of PKCS#11 attacks. In the proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on Analysis of Security APIs (ASA-8). 2015. pdf
- 2019 (WS): guest lecturer on web security, Advanced Internet Security (VU) [192.091], TU Wien
- 2019 (WS): lecturer, Capture the Flag (SE) [192.092], TU Wien
- 2019 (SS): lecturer, Introduction to Security (UE) [192.082], TU Wien
- 2015/16 - 2017/18: teaching assistant, Security 1 [CM0475], Security 2 [CM0494], Ca' Foscari University of Venice
- 2013/14 - 2014/15: teaching assistant, Security of Computer Systems [CM0288], Ca' Foscari University of Venice
I'm a jungle/drum'n'bass DJ, still using turntables and carrying around a 30kg record bag. You can find a selection of my dj sets on mixcloud.